Snoring is an annoying disease not only for you but also for your partner and roommates. If you are snoring it isn’t necessarily due to an internal disorder. Sometimes, if you kept on waking too late at night can cause a temporary snoring. However, people who are regular snorers have their throat tissues enlarged that blocks the airflow. When you try to breathe in hard, the air travels suddenly through your windpipe that causes your enlarged tissues to vibrate. This produces snoring sounds while sleeping.
The first step towards finding a solution to stop snoring I to tart with understanding the real cause of this disorder. It can vary from person to person, depending on individual anatomy and lifestyle. The primary cause of snoring is relaxation of muscle in the mouth and throat region while you are asleep. Obesity, alcohol, drugs, medications and bad sleeping posture can also cause intense snoring. So, it is convenient to keep the causes of snoring in mind whenever searching for a remedy. This helps in adopting the right solution for treatment!
Today, I will put forth some great home remedies to stop snoring forever. We’ll also go through the surgical treatments available, and other tips to stop snoring naturally and immediately.
Home Remedies for Snoring
Peppermint possesses anti-inflammatory properties that helps a lot in reducing the symptoms of snoring. It has been found to be useful for reducing lining of the throat and nostrils, thus allowing a smooth and steady flow of air in and out of the lungs. Moreover, it also acts as an excellent remedy for reducing any allergies, cold or dry air that might be causing snoring.
- Take a few drops of peppermint oil and add in a glass of water. Daily before going to bed gargle thoroughly. Make sure that you don’t swallow the solution else it may cause a bit of stomach disorder. Repeat the process daily before going to bed, and enjoy the great results.
- In case, dry air or congestion is a cause of snoring, and then add a few drops of peppermint oil to a humidifier. Just 30 minutes before you go to bed turn it on. Allow it to run overnight. This helps in opening the blocked airways that automatically prevents snoring while sleeping.
- Alternatively you can rub or massage the peppermint oil on the lower portion of your nose before going to bed. This keeps the air fresh and moist and prevents snoring.
2) Olive Oil
Olive oil has been a natural remedy for curing thousands of disease for many years. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it helps in promoting smooth airflow through your respiratory passage. Moreover, it also reduces any swelling that might be a hurdle in a steady flow of air.
- Take a few sips of olive oil before going to bed daily. As a usual practice, 2-3 teaspoons would be enough. Olive oil tastes like olives, but you may feel a slight change of taste.
- You can also combine one teaspoon of olive oil with a teaspoon of honey and consume the mixture daily before going to bed.
- Many experts say that massaging the area around your throat ca also reduce swelling in your tissue that prevent snoring.
Steam is also a natural remedy that can be made anywhere in the world. You just need water, a container and fire to heat up the water to produce steam. People who suffer from flue inhale steam before going to bed. This opens up the nasal canals. Same goes for the snoring! If you take steam with the addition of some extra natural ingredients can unblock and clear the blocked respiratory passage, and promote smooth flow of air.
- Take an average sized container, fill it with water and heat until steam starts coming out of it. Don’t turn off the fire!
- Now add five drops of eucalyptus essential oil or tree tea essential oil in it.
- Take a big towel and cover your head from all side, except the face. Now bring yourself over the steaming water container. Keep the face at a distance of one foot above the containers. Also, ensure that there is nobody around to disturb you.
- Start taking deep breathe through the nose and mouth. Keep on breathing deeply for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Once done, keep your face covered with the towel, turn off the fire, and immediately go to bed. You have to keep the head covered for at least 1 hour after inhaling steam for best results.
- This helps in clearing the congestion and reducing the size of swollen tissues.
4) Clarified Butter
It is also known as ghee. Clarified butter possesses medicinal properties that aids in unblocking your nasal passages which automatically gives relief from snoring and ensures a high quality and comfortable sleep.
- Take a small quantity of clarified butter and slightly warm it in the microwave.
- Now use a dropper to pour three drops of lukewarm clarified butter in each of your nostrils.
- Repeat this process daily before going to bed, and once early in the morning.
- Don’t heat clarified butter too much, else it may cause a burning sensation in your nose.
Cardamom boasts expectorant and decongestant properties that make it an ideal remedy to unblock your nasal passages and respiratory tract. Cardamom is available at grocery stores and natural health pharmacies.
- Take half or a full teaspoon of cardamom powder and mix it in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Drink the solution at least 30 minutes before sleeping.
- Repeat the process daily to prevent snoring forever.
Turmeric powder features antiseptic and antibiotic properties that treat different types of inflammations. It can reduce the swollen tissues and prevent heavy snoring. Don’t intake turmeric power directly, rather use it with milk. You can try out this solution to drink:
- Add two to three teaspoons of turmeric powder in a glass of lukewarm milk.
- Mix it well and drink at least 30 minutes before going to bed.
- Do this daily for over two Hopefully, you won’t experience snoring again.
Sometimes the snoring is due to an allergy, or you may snore during a particular time of the year due to seasonal changes. This type of snoring is temporary and can be treated easily with the help of nettle that possesses anti-inflammatory and antihistamine properties.
- Take one tablespoon of dried nettle leaves and add it to one cup of boiling water.
- Let the water boil for 10 minutes until you see a green color.
- Strain this solution and enjoy the warm tea before bedtime.
- Repeat the process daily until your snoring goes away.
- Nettle leave tea also helps in eliminating different types of allergies.
Garlic prevents the formation of thick mucus and also helps in eliminating the current one. Sometimes, a small or large quantity of mucus is stuck to your nasal walls or respiratory tract that cause snoring. However, with the help of garlic, which possesses anti-inflammatory properties, can eliminate mucus.
- You can chew one or two small cloves of garlic and then drink a glass of lukewarm water. Repeat this process daily before bedtime to enjoy a peaceful and comfortable sleep.
- Add garlic to your daily meals.
- You can also fry garlic cloves in olive oil and eat them. This will add a bit of taste making it easier for you to chew and swallow it.
Honey has anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing swelling around the area of your throat that might be blocking smooth flow of air. Honey also lubricates your throat that contributes to preventing snoring vibrations and horrible sounds while sleeping.
- Take a glass of lukewarm water and add one tablespoon of honey and drink the solution before bedtime.
- Alternatively you can eat a tablespoon of honey daily before bedtime and after your meals.
- You can sprinkle a small quantity of black chili powder over a tablespoon of honey and eat it before going to bed. This is a very effective remedy for treating snoring.
Chamomile has some of the most powerful and effective anti-inflammatory properties that instantly gives relief from swollen tissues and blocked respiratory tract, thus preventing snoring. It also acts as a nerve-muscle relaxant that eases tensed muscles and nerves around your throat and allows you sleep comfortably.
- Add a tablespoon of Chamomile flowers or Chamomile tea bag in a cup of water.
- Boil it for 15 minutes.
- Now strain the Chamomile flowers or tea and add one teaspoon of honey.
- Mix the solution well and drink before bedtime.
- You can also make the tea with your breakfast.
These ten remedies can help prevent snoring either temporarily or permanently. However, you can also opt-in for surgical options for snoring that are explained in detail below.
Surgery for Snoring
There are different surgical treatments for snoring that are designed to reduce obstruction of your respiratory tract that is causing snoring. There can be only one area that requires surgery or multiple areas if the tissues have enlarged abnormally. Surgeons believe that by decreasing the palatal and uvular flutter can help in reducing snoring.
Types of surgical methods used
1) Radio frequency energy
Radio frequency energy helps in shrinking turbinate. This is done by creating scar tissues in them which result in a more wide and open nasal passage from inside. This surgery hardly takes 15 minutes. During the treatment, the surgeon spends more time numbing your nasal tissue using topical and other injectable medications.
A wand is placed on your tissues and then radio frequency energy is released and focused for about 10-20 seconds. You may feel a bit of burning sensation for some time.
2) Deviated Septum
The nasal septum is a wall in the middle of your nose that separates your nasal passages. This septum might be deviated due to trauma, and might get curved to either side causing an obstruction to smooth airflow. During this surgery, general anesthesia is used and then the septum deviation is balanced that helps prevent snoring.
3) Nasal Polyps
These are the mucosal growth in your nose that are caused due to different allergies or seasonal changes. During the surgery, you are given a general anesthesia for removing polyps that reduces nasal obstruction and promotes smooth flow of air.
Oral Surgical Treatments
These treatments includes:
- Laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty
- Radio frequency ablation of palate
- Palate implants.
These surgeries may take more time, and some of these can be painful, but not much. Apart from surgeries and home remedies you can also stop snoring naturally.
How to stop snoring naturally?
- Sleep on your side: Changing your sleeping posture can help to stop snoring naturally. Try to sleep on your side. This prevents your tongue from relaxing on the back wall of your throat. But avoid sleeping on your stomach as it may put strain on neck causing neck pain.
- Avoid Alcohol: If you drink alcohol or consume sleeping pills or booze, quit them immediately. They lead to depression of central nervous system that relaxes the muscles of throat and jaw leading to snoring.
- Lose weight: If you have fat consumed on different parts of your body, especially throat and face then do some exercise to lose some weight. This can help a lot to prevent snoring.
- Clean your house: Snoring is often caused by an allergen like dust, dust mites or pet dander. These factors contribute to cause nighttime snoring. However, by keeping your home clean can help prevent snoring.
- Quit smoking: Smokers often have snoring problem because the chemicals in smoke cause irritation and inflammation of the upper By quitting smoking, you won’t experience any snoring while sleeping.
These tips not only prevents snoring in the long run but also helps you stop snoring immediately.
We always put our maximum efforts to provide our readers with valuable information that can benefit them over the long term. If you are a victim of snoring, you can follow the natural remedies or opt in for surgical treatments. Alternatively, you can try out some trusted stop snoring products. For regular updates do subscribe to our list.